home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ The 640 MEG Shareware Studio 2 / The 640 Meg Shareware Studio CD-ROM Volume II (Data Express)(1993).ISO / bbs / hs113d2.zip / BLT.TXT < prev    next >
Text File  |  1992-05-13  |  10KB  |  180 lines

2. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  3. The following is one of my bulletins.  I thought others might find it helpful
  4. for their systems so...
  5. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  7. HSLINK, by Sam Smith, is a fast, easy to use protocol capable of uploading
  8. files during downloads.  This can make uploading all but free-of-cost,
  10. BEST ACCURATE SPEED OBTAINED HERE WITH HSLINK TO DATE: (12/91)
  11.    BAUD   ERROR COR     SPEED
  12.    2400      No           236
  13.    2400     Yes           279
  14.    9600     Yes         1,128
  15.    9600      No           ???  no valid ones yet--should be around 930
  16.   14400     Yes         1,708
  18. OVERVIEW:
  19.   Simultaneous transfers are often referred to as bi-directional transfers;
  20.   it is the ability of the protocol to use both the transmit and receive
  21.   channels (built-in to every modem) at the same time. "Normal" protocols use
  22.   the one channel for transfer and the other typically goes all but unused--
  23.   being used for short acknowledgment of the blocks being transferred. HSLINK
  24.   allows two files to be sent at once--one upload; one download.  The
  25.   overhead associated with acknowledging a good block of data received are
  26.   built-in to the protocols other channel along with the data packet that is
  27.   being transferred to allow taking active advantage of both channels.
  29. WHO CAN TAKE ADVANTAGE OF SIMULTANEOUS TRANSFERS?
  30.   Any modem that is NOT a HST.  HST modems have a single high-speed channel.
  31.   Its back channel operates at a much lower speed and the modem WILL switch
  32.   back-and-forth--giving the fast channel to the direction in greatest need.
  33.   For typical bbs operation that places the high speed channel in the hands
  34.   of bbs transmission and the user side which is typically much slower
  35.   (keyboarding commands) at the user's disposal.  Switching channels is time
  36.   consuming and any advantage in simultaneous transfers is lost to its user.
  38.   Now that we know who can't; <grin> let's try to answer the question
  39.   properly.
  40.     Any 2400 baud modem--both error correcting and non-correcting
  41.     Any V.32 or  V.32bis modem--with or without MNP or V.42 (EC)
  42.     Telebit Trailblazers
  43.   These modems have symmetrical channels--both transmit and receive operate
  44.   at the same speed.  The protocol works just fine with error correcting
  45.   modem, although error correction is not a requirement.
  47. WHAT KIND OF SPEEDS SHOULD I SEE?
  48.   If you don't have an error correcting modem, you should see speeds
  49.   exceeding 98% of the rated speed.  This means that a 2400 baud modem will
  50.   be able to get 235 plus cps.  Error correcting modems will add to that
  51.   maximum speed.  The reason for this is that they don't require the all of
  52.   the overhead of start and stop bits.  A standard modem has, beside the
  53.   8-bits of data, 2-bits of overhead.  That is how we got to the 235 above by
  54.   taking the baud rate and dividing it by the bits per word:
  55.         2400/10=240 : 240*98%=235.2
  56.   The error correcting modem doesn't always need the overhead (not when
  57.   transmitting blocks) and the best speed for a 2400-baud error correcting
  58.   modem is typically 270 rather than 240.  A rule of thumb is that we should
  59.   see an efficiency over 110% if our MNP/V.42 modem is downloading using a
  60.   clean line and has been set to maximize its capability.  Many modems quote
  61.   a much higher speed; this applies only to the tranfer of text or
  62.   uncompressed files.  Compressed files like ZIP/ARJ/LZH file found on BBS's
  63.   aren't capable of further compression. If your modem is MNP, disable
  64.   compression when calling a bbs.  If it is V.42, it will do intellegent
  65.   selection of when to allow/use data compression.  That's about the only
  66.   difference you'll see/need between the two, common correcting methods.
  68. WHY AREN'T I SEEING THOSE SPEEDS?  (Primarily Error Correcting Modems)
  69.   There can be as many good guesses as good reasons.  The real problem
  70.   invariably boils down to just one--hardware.  Our CPU may be a bit slow
  71.   when it comes to handling the data stream to/from the modem. The baud rate
  72.   you set the uart to may not be the optimum selection. You may not have
  73.   enabled or selected the use/honoring of the CTS signal. A slow hard disk
  74.   may not be able to write fast enough to also allow the modem to pass all
  75.   characters without loss during disk writes.
  77.   Hardware handshaking is a must with EC Modems.  If your handshaking is
  78.   incorrect you will see errors when you are transferring files; it's most
  79.   evident when uploading a file.
  81.   If your lost blocks occur at a fairly regularly spaced intervals (every
  82.   n-kbytes or so) then it's probably the Hard Disk.  You can tell the
  83.   protocol about this problem by adding -HS to the command line that loads
  84.   HSLINK.
  86.   If you are running a multi-tasker like DesqView or using EXTENDED memory
  87.   for a disk cache, the modem can also have more random overrun problems.
  88.   Often you can solve this problem with an UART (The chip that provides/is
  89.   the serial port services.) upgrade.  Switching to a 16550 gives you a uart
  90.   capable of holding more than one byte in its receive buffer.  This prevents
  91.   the loss of characters that some experience. If you don't experience a loss
  92.   of characters, having a 16550 will be of NO advantage to you--it won't
  93.   speed or make better anything to do with your modem connections.
  95. WHAT CAN I DO WHEN IT ABORTS/CRAPS/LOCKS-UP/DIES/ETC?
  96.   Yeah, well, sooner-or-later it happens to all of us.  Equipment is less
  97.   than perfect and software even more so.  At some point, the gods will
  98.   conspire and the transmission goes south.  If you are lucky, you abort the
  99.   transfer and go at it again.  If you are not, you reboot. However, if you
  100.   have selected the options that retain partial files and also the one that
  101.   allows recovery (-K -R) you will be able to pick up from the point that
  102.   your download aborted.  If it was an upload that died, you're probably
  103.   out-of-luck as most BBS software will not retain such uploads in the upload
  104.   directory. (Nobody wants to be the next caller and spend time downloading a
  105.   bum file.)
  107. OK, I KNOW MORE ABOUT HARDWARE THAN I EVER WANTED TO... JUST HOW DO I
  108. USE HSLINK, ANYWAY?
  109.   Sorry, I get carried away sometimes.  HSLINK from the user standpoint is
  110.   simplicity itself.  On the BBS you just select the files you want to
  111.   download and then... SELECT UPLOAD FROM/IN YOUR TERMINAL PROGRAM Yes, I
  112.   said to upload!  You enter the filename(s) that you are uploading and start
  113.   the terminal program's upload.  HSLINK will handle everything from there
  114.   and you see files being both sent and received on the HSLINK screen.
  116.   I said it was easy, didn't I?  Well, I meant to...
  118.   NOTE: Because the BBS doesn't know about the upload until it is returned to
  119.         after its download process...
  121.         And, because the bbs will probably be testing the upload for viruses
  122.         or whatever..
  124.   BE SURE TO WAIT AND THEN DESCRIBE THE FILE(S) UPLOADED.  IF YOU DON'T WAIT
  125.   YOU WON'T RECEIVE CREDIT.  IF YOU UPLOADED A NUMBER OF LARGE FILES, THIS
  126.   TESTING CAN RUN SEVERAL MINUTES. REMEMBER, YOU'VE SAVED A BUNCH OF TIME/$$$
  127.   ALREADY--SO THE WAIT ISN'T REALLY THAT BAD/COSTLY--JUST ANNOYING.
  129.   A file is also available to assist you in using HSLINK.  HS-INST.ZIP has
  130.   the necessary files and configuration instructions for installing it in
  131.   just about every terminal/bbs program out there.  If you are familiar with
  132.   how your terminal program shells to a protocol, you might not even need it.
  135. OK, A WHILE BACK YOU MENTIONED SPEED, MY SPEEDS MOVE AROUND LIKE A CHINESE
  136. FIREDRILL, THEY ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE.
  137.   Well, speeds are affected by the overhead involved in finding and opening a
  138.   file along with then sending info to the other side so that it can
  139.   create/open a file of that name on its side.  This affects the reported
  140.   speeds on short files.  As filesize goes up this affect is minimized. I use
  141.   50k as a rule of thumb--anything smaller will be obviously distorted
  142.   somewhat downward.  And by the time we reach 80k or so, the speed should
  143.   hold pretty steady and only move the speed around by a CPS or two.
  145.   Error correcting modems throw another variable into the pot.  They are
  146.   buffered.  My US Robotics modem has a 4-k transmit buffer.  When it fills
  147.   it on starting up a file send, the baud rate is alarmingly high. It then
  148.   creeps down to something more believable.  No modem program is able to read
  149.   how full the modem buffer is--so there is no way to tell/compute a 100%
  150.   accurate value on such a modem.
  152. CONCLUSION:
  153.   HSLINK is as good or better than any other protocol.  If you have a modem
  154.   that can take advantage of simultaneous transfers, it will save you LOTS
  155.   and LOTS of MONEY!!!.  If you can't, its is still as efficient as any other
  156.   protocol and just as easy or easier to use.  All serious modem users--
  157.   especially when calling Long-distance--should install and use this
  158.   protocol.
  160. ORDERING:
  161.   HSLINK may be ordered from Sam Smith using a credit card on his bbs.
  162.   The bbs numbers are: (818) 891-6780      US Robotics 2400
  163.                        (818) 891-3772      US Robotics HST 9600
  164.                        (818) 891-1344      Supra v.32bis/v.42bis
  166.   It can also be mail ordered from:
  167.                        SAMUEL H. SMITH
  168.                        P. O. BOX 4808
  169.                        PANORAMA CITY, CA 91412-4808
  171.   The voice number for credit card orders is (818) 891-4228.
  173.   Current price is $20 making it quite a bargain.
  175. COPYRIGHT 1991 by Ken Prevo, The Toolkit BBS -- ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
  176.   Permission for reproduction as a bulletin on public bbs systems is granted
  177.   as is reproduction by any not-for-profit computer club for the use of or
  178.   presentation to its members. The above copyright notice must be retained in
  179.   all reproductions. Lines following the above copyright are optional.